20 hr. Taser Instructor Basic Certification Course-Charleston
Member's Fee: $0
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $0
Online Component Start Date: Monday October 2, 2017
Due Date: Friday, October 20, 2017
This class consists of 4 hours on-line training, followed by 16 hours of classroom.
There are special registration instructions for this class/ The deadline is extremely important
COURSE CONTENT: This course provides the basic operational theory and practical training to instruct users to reasonably safely and effectively operate TASER CEWs. This course covers the TASER X26P and X2 CEWs, and will certify those who successfully complete the course as TASER basic instructors for a period of 2 years from the date of certification. Current instructors will attend day two of the class for recertification. Several knowledge assessments will be completed online as well as written tests during Days 1 and 2.
Part 1 of the course is completed online.
· New instructors will spend approximately 4 hours online before participating in 16 hours of practical training (Day 1 and Day 2).
· Recertifying instructors will spend approximately 8 hours online before participating in 8 hours of practical training (Day 2).
· If an Instructor is expired, Taser still currently permits one year past expiration date to register and attend a course as recertifying. Once expired, no TASER CEW User courses or certifications should be conducted.
Topics covered include
- TASER technology Neuro-muscular incapacitation
- Medical and safety information
- Voluntary exposures
- Legal issues
- TASER CEWs
- Power sources
- TASER Cam and TASER Cam HD
- Tactical considerations
- Targeting Risks associated with CEW use
- Probe deployment and drive stun
- Probe removal
- Policy considerations
- Post incident consideration
The course also includes several drills and exercises requiring physical exertion. Students should be in good physical condition and must advise the Master Instructor of any pre-existing injuries or physical limitations.
- Non-Firing drills
- Firing drills
- Isolation exercises
- Stress courses
New Instructor Process (20 hours) Instructor Re-Certification Process (16 hours)
1) Complete a 4-hour block of training 1) Complete an 8-hour block of training
2) Attend days 1 & 2 of the class 2) Attend day 2 of the class
Dress is casual, no uniforms needed
Taser supplies all Tasers and the cartridges
Class attendees should bring their own duty gear and any holsters you or your agency uses.
NO FIREARMS, AMMO, OR WEAPONS OF ANY KIND ARE ALLOWED IN THE CLASSROOM.
SPECIAL REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS Apply for this Class
Also, take note of the pre-class Online Training Requirements
MTU 1 WILL PAY THE REGISTRATION FEE FOR OFFICERS FROM THE MTU1 REGION,
IF these steps are followed.
OFFICERS FROM OUTSIDE the MTU1 region should not register via the MTU1 website.
STEP 1: MTU1 agencies must first register for this class on the MTU1 website. MTU1 agencies should not register via a neighboring “MTU’s” website. MTU1 will only pay a member’s tuition prior to class, for officers registered with MTU1 in a timely manner.
STEP 2: MTU1 agency members MUST ALSO register on the AXON (TASER) Academy site. If you skip this step you will not be registered for the class. When registering with AXON and arriving at the method of payment.
Select off-line Payment and send bill to:
Northwest IL Criminal Justice Commission/MTU1
355 W. Everett Street, Dixon, IL 61021
STEP 3: MTU1 must immediately be supplied a copy of your Invoice receipt to confirm your registration. This notifies MTU1 of the need to make payment for your training. You will not have access to the online training if we do not have time, or know to pay the fee prior to the on-line component start date. MTU1 cannot guarantee timely payment to Axon (Taser) for registrations after the deadline.
STEP 3: Online Component. Each registrant must complete the appropriate online component that is required by AXON (Taser) during the “Online Component Start Date timeframe. The online training requirements must be completed prior to the class. If the appropriate online component is not completed prior to the stated deadline, Taser will not allow the registrant into the class.
Notice: Agencies will be billed the tuition fee, if after payment by MTU1, an officer fails to complete the on-line component and is denied attendance by Taser, or if they fail to attend the class (no shows).
See our attendance policy.
Tuition Costs being paid for MTU1 members:
Taser CEW Instructor Certification- $435 / Taser CEW Instructor Re-Certification- $225
STEP 1: Registering on the MTU1 website
STEP 2: Registering on the AXON website:
- Current instructors should have been migrated over to the new AXON system and just need to create a password (https://academy.axon.io/login/#forgot-password).
- New instructors, current instructors who find they have not been migrated over, or have changed agencies, may need to create a new account. (https://academy.axon.io/registration/? next=/terms/#register).