RADAR/LIDAR & Speed Enforcement-Sterling
Member's Fee: $0
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $0
RADAR is one of the tools that police officers use the most and receive the least amount of training on. Research shows excessive speed is a major contributing factor to motor vehicle crashes and shows excessive speed increases the severity of the crashes that do occur. The role of police RADAR in traffic safety enforcement continues to be of critical importance.
RADAR instruments and the people who operate them are being challenged in court. The lack of operator training has been at the root of almost all successful challenges to RADAR. This training will cover fundamental case law affecting Doppler RADAR and the procedural and substantive legal issues regarding identification procedures.
If certain basic operative procedures are violated, absurd speed measurements can appear.
The overall goal of this training program is to improve the effectiveness of speed enforcement through the proper and efficient use of police traffic RADAR speed measurement instruments.
1. Describe the association between excessive speed and crashes, deaths and injuries, as well as
the highway safety benefits of effective speed control.
2. Describe the basic principles of RADAR speed measurement.
3. Demonstrate basic knowledge in setting up, testing and operating RADAR instruments.
4. Identify and describe the laws, court rulings, regulations, policies, and procedures affecting
RADAR speed measurement and speed enforcement in general.
5. Demonstrate the ability to prepare and present records and courtroom testimony relating to
RADAR speed measurement.
6. Define the term “Doppler Principle” and how it relates to the operation of police traffic radar.
7. Describe the term “Doppler shift.”
8. Describe the elements of “tracking history” and its importance.
9. List three factors that can affect RADAR.