4 hr. (am) Confessions & Admissions Update-DL only
Member's Fee: $0
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $40
Galena Police Dept.: 311 N. Bench Street Galena, IL
Morrison Police Dept.: 200 W Main St. Morrison, IL
Ogle County Sheriff's Office: 202 S 1st St. Oregon, IL
COURSE CONTENT: This course is an analysis of recent case law dealing with the law of confessions and admissions from suspects. It includes, among many other topics, a discussion of Miranda, as it is applied today; an explanation of the rules concerning hearsay evidence and how they can be used by the police; and a discussion of the latest rules involving the mandatory electronic recording of the statements of a suspect.
The following are some of the questions that will be asked and answered in this presentation:
- Can you use a confession taken from a suspect who has been illegally arrested?
- Is there a 5th Amendment right to counsel during a lineup or prior to taking a breathalyzer examination?
- When is a suspect “in custody” for purposes of Miranda?
- Were the statements of the suspect made voluntarily?
- When is a suspect not entitled to counsel?
- What happens when an attorney demands to see his client?
- How do you deal with a juvenile who is being interrogated?
- What happens when the police fail to promptly bring a suspect before a judge for a probable cause hearing
- How long must you wait before re-interrogating a suspect after he has invoked his right to remain silent
- How do you overcome a suspect’s allegation that his statements were coerced by the police?