4 hr. (am) SFST-Refresher-Dixon
Members' Fee: $0
Sworn Non-Members' Fee: $0
Non-Members' Fee: $0
Training Goal: The primary focus will be on enforcing the DUI segment, including the implied consent provision. A Standardized Field Sobriety Testing proficiency exam will be given utilizing the newest SFST curriculum. This exam will serve as a SFST recertification to satisfy IDOT requirements for DUI grants.
The Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act enacted January 1, 2014, created new challenges for law enforcement personnel. According to statute, the law enforcement officer must have an independent, cannabis-related factual basis, giving reasonable suspicion that the person is impaired by cannabis. After establishing these elements, an officer may ask the driver to submit to Standardized Field Sobriety Tests. Under this statute, the results of SFSTs will be the primary tool in determining impairment.
This 4-hour block of instruction will also provide officers with an overview of the non-standardized tests and eye exams which will aid in the determination of cannabis impairment. The ultimate goal is to reduce the number of crashes, deaths and injuries caused by impaired drivers.
Objectives: Upon completion of this training officers will be able to:
- Describe the implied consent provisions of the statute
- Summarize scientific research related to driving and cannabis usage
- Administer SFSTs utilizing the newest SFST curriculum
- Pass a SFST proficiency exam with standards from the newest SFST curriculum
- Administer eye checks to determine cannabis usage
- Recognize signs and symptoms associated with cannabis usage
- Administer non-standardized field sobriety test
This class involves hands-on practice in administering the Standardized Field Sobriety Testing according to the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards