News- previous articles
School Safety Drill Act amended5/17/2019 11:27:00 AM
SCHOOL LAW ENFORCEMENT DRILL
Short Description: SCHOOL LAW ENFORCEMENT DRILL
STATUS: Public Act: 100-0996; Eff: January1, 2019.
Statutes Amended: (105 ILCS 128/20)
Synopsis as Amended: Amends the School Safety Drill Act.
TEXT: Section 5. The School Safety Drill Act is amended by changing Section 20 as follows:
Sec. 20. Number of drills; incidents covered; local authority participation.
(c) During each academic year, schools must conduct a law enforcement drill to address a school shooting incident.
- No later than 90 days after the first day of each school year, schools must conduct at least one law enforcement drill that addresses an active threat or an active shooter within a school building.
- Such drills must be conducted according to the school district's or private school's emergency and crisis response plans, protocols, and procedures to evaluate the preparedness of school personnel and students, with the participation of the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Law enforcement drills must be conducted on days and times when students are normally present in the school building and must involve participation from all school personnel and students present at school at the time of the drill, except that administrators or school support personnel in their discretion may exempt students from the drill.
- The appropriate local law enforcement agency shall observe the administration of the drill.
- All drills must be conducted at each school building that houses school children.
Full details of this and all other Legislative Enactments for the 2018/2019 Legislative Session can be found on the IPS Website located at: www.ipsllconline.com
Posted In: Legal Updates, Legislation/New laws, back to News- previous articles