ON-LINE 40 Hr. Juvenile Specialist Course
ON-LINE 40 HOUR JUVENILE SPECIALIST COURSE
The Northwest Illinois Criminal Justice Commission (NICJC) / MTU1, is offering our member agencies an On-line 40-hr. Juvenile Specialist Course. This course is also known as the Basic Juvenile Officer or Basic Youth Officer course. The course is certified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards Board (I.L.E.T.S.B.).
TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS TRAINING:
1. You must be an NICJC / MTU1 member agency
2. Your agency must purchase the training program from NEMRT (see below)
3. Your agency registers officers via the MTU1 website and follows the training process
TRAINING PROCESS & WORK FLOW:
1. Training officer registers an officer for the class on the MTU1 website
2. Officer completes the on-line training
3. Officer attends the 4-hour in person review/exam
4. Upon passing the exam the officer is issued an ILETSB certificate from MTU1
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE TRAINING PROCESS:
1. You need to have the training program purchased prior to registering an officer for this training.
2. When you have purchased access to the program you can have officers start training right away
3. When registering on the MTU1 website you are scheduling the date of the final exam
4. The deadline for registrations on the MTU1 website will always be 30 days prior to the written test.
5. The exam is “in-person” at a testing location with a class review prior the exam
6. The testing date will be posted approx. two months prior to the exam.
7. The registration deadline will be thirty days prior to the exam
8. You can register multiple officers for the same "class", but can they all be there on exam day?
9. If an officer fails the exam he/she may retake the exam once more (not the same day)
10. To take the exam a second time the officer needs to register for a second time on the MTU1 website
(this reserves the testing seat)
11. If the officer does not pass the exam the 2nd time they must attend the in-person class to get certified
WORST KEPT SECRET: When you purchase the program access from NEMRT, you have access to the materials from that point forward. An officer does not have to wait to “register” for the class on the MTU1 website before starting. They just need to know they will have time to complete the training before the test date.
COSTS IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE TRAINING THROUGH MTU1
- Your agency Purchases the program access from NEMRT for $120.00
- The initial officer to take the certification exam is free
- The cost for each officer after the initial officer is covered by MTU1
- After an officer successfully completes the exam, MTU1 will cover
o the $75.00 training cost
o Reimburse the agency $60.00 towards the cost of purchasing access to the progra
- If an officer fails the exam, the department will be billed a $75 fee
- If the officer passes the exam on the second attempt the department will be reimbursed the $75 fee
REGISTERING FOR THE TRAINING:
To have MTU1 cover the training cost, agencies need to participate as if it were an MTU1 class. There are two reasons,
1. When it is an MTU1 class, we set the exam date and everyone who registers through us is automatically reserved a seat for the exam date
a. Our exam will be offered in Freeport or Rockford, instead of North Aurora where everyone else in the Chicago suburbs must go. There is usually a wait list for North Aurora
2. When it is our class NEMRT will invoice MTU1 directly
MTU1 is covering the training cost only when you register on the MTU1 website. If you register on the NEMRT website for testing in North Aurora they will send you the invoice.
PURCHASE ACCESS TO THE PROGRAM
If you want to participate in the on-line training, contact NEMRT to purchase access. When obtaining the training program access, you will have to select an agency program administrator.
North East Multi-Regional Training, Inc.
355 Smoke Tree Plaza
North Aurora, Illinois 60542
630-896-8860 ext. 116