24 hr. Basic Field Training Officer-CANCELED
Member's Fee: $130
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $150
This class has been canceled and is being rescheduled for Fall 2020
COURSE CONTENT: This course is taught in a workshop format. Field Trainers will work in teams & discuss the significance of setting up the Field Training relationship with the Probationary Officer. They will discuss the most probable eight challenges Probationary Officers face, often due to differences in age, time on, experience, and time-on with different agencies.
Participants will recognize the significance of tying all feedback and documentation to Department SOPs, federal & state statutes, city ordinances, jurisdictional geography, & community policy goals. The training will identify assertive verbal & nonverbal communication skills & neutral/unbiased documentation skills of Field.
Field Trainers will practice debriefings, conflicted situations, & proofing/editing a report then giving feedback.
- Professional Communication Standards: Assertiveness vs Aggression & Passivity; Professional Relationship Constructs versus interpersonal buddies
- Ethics for Character-driven professionalism with confidentiality standards.
- Adherence through work practice, discussion, feedback, & DORs to key Department policies, underscoring all work alignment to Department SOPs.
- Generational Impact on Work Attitude, Assignments, & Assessment
- Challenge/resistance areas with laterals from other agencies, millennials, age & experience differences between the FTO and Probe, laziness, lying, freezing, & lack of job aptitude. Participants will identify methods for training & documenting each area
- Strategies for helping probes learn & succeed. What helps? What interferes?
- Coaching skills tied to training, review, feedback, & documentation. Giving timely feedback that is motivating, constructive, clear & concise.
- Reducing Training Liability: Common Evaluation Errors
- Daily Observation Report documentation: using unbiased neutral language. Writing documents for your Sergeant & Lieutenant regarding extended training or not retaining Probationary Officer, with sample documentation.
- Proofing & editing narratives, elements of the crime, outline prototypes, chronological order, consistent verb tense, grammatical writing skills.
Students should be familiar with their Department’s current Field Training and Evaluation Process and should be briefed on their agency’s process.
This class is being co-sponsored by MTU#2 and MTU#1. Their member agencies will receive priority registration.