Departments are responsible for registration, attendance, cancelation and the absenteeism of their personnel.
It is Mobil Training Unit 1's policy for the responsible agency representative to register their officers for training and officers may not register themselves without their supervisors' approval.
MTU1 courses are filled on a first come first serve basis.
Registrations are accepted via the website, which shows the registering party how many seats are available for the class.. Once the registration is received by MTU 1, confirmation will be sent back to the agency representative via email. The student's name will then be placed on the class roster.
Should a class reach its capacity, a "waiting list" will be created and students on the "waiting list" cannot attend the training unless a cancelation occurs.
In case of course cancelation for situations other than weather, or a sick instructor, MTU 1 will contact all affected departments not less than ten (10) days from the date of the scheduled class.
Student Cancellation/ Absenteeism
The training officer or designee should inform MTU 1 of cancelations as soon as it is known the officer cannot attend. If there is a waiting list and a cancelation occurs, MTU 1 will contact those on the waiting list.
Cooperation regarding the cancelation policy is needed to maintain overall effectiveness and reduce costs per officer by helping maintain class size. If MTU 1 is not notified of a cancelation, students on the "waiting list" are not given the opportunity to attend the class.
When MTU #1 experiences class attendance shortages by personnel who do not attend the class they are registered for, or attend without proper registration it creates several problems:
- Some classes have limited enrollment and other officers are deprived of the educational opportunity when a registered officer does not attend.
- Materials costs are based upon the number of officers registered.
- The size of the class is too small to achieve the course objective and would have been canceled because it is neither cost effective, nor provides a favorable learning environment.
- For grant courses, the actual number of attendees may be too low to meet the grant's minimum requirements for funding and the course would have been otherwise canceled. The MTU is required to pay the cost differences if the required attendees for a grant course are not met.
- The instructor is present and prepared for instruction. His/her time is valuable and therefore must be compensated even when no students arrive for class.
The Mobile Training Unit is designed for and takes into consideration the complexities of scheduling, last minute emergency circumstances beyond a department's control, such as illness, police emergency, etc. MTU 1 asks for enrolling departments to contact our office as soon as it is known an enrolled officer cannot attend a training session.
MTU I does not typically charge police agencies the cost of "no shows", unless there is a class limit and cost per seat.
MTU1 does not charge agencies when a registered officer is canceled from a class.