Lead Homicide Investigator Information
Changes to Lead Homicide Investigator (Electronic Submissions)
Effective March 1, 2018, Lead Homicide Investigator Recertification Forms must be submited electronically. The process for receiving, retaining, and responding to those electronic applications are as follows:
- Law Enforcement Agency locates Lead Homicide Investigator Recertification Form on the ILETSB website under the “Resources” tab on the splash page, selecting “Forms & Information” from the drop down box.
- Submit the form and any scanned supporting documentation via email to PTB.Applications@illinois.gov
- If any supporting material is lacking, or additional clarification is required, those questions will be directed via email to the email address from which the original form was submitted. This will ensure ILETSB will have a permanent record of a single communication string.
Recertification letters will be provided electronically to the email address provided by the form submitter.
Effective 01-01-2012, under 50 ILCS 705/10.11, only law enforcement officers who successfully complete the 40-hour Lead Homicide Investigator training program may be assigned as lead investigators in homicide investigations. Additionally, the Board has developed an LHI training waiver process for officer's who's extensive training and experience may qualify them a waiver.
All Lead Homicide Investigators (LHIs) certified by the Training Board are required to obtain 32 hours of approved LHI in service training in a 4 year period from the date of their certification.
The Training Board has approved many in-service courses for LHI certificate renewal. The list is updated every 3 months after new courses are approved at the Board's quarterly meeting. A list of the currently approved courses for Mobile Team Unit #1 is available HERE. Agencies are responsible for ensuring LHIs attend approved courses.
It is suggested that agencies submit their Lead Homicide Investigator's recertification paperwork no sooner than 6 months and no later than 3 months prior to the end of the 4th year.
A copy of the LHI training waiver and LHI recertification form can be found by clicking here - Recertification OR Waiver.
Lead Homicide investigator courses offered On-Line by the Executive Institute
At its December 2015 meeting, the Illinois Law Enforcement Training & Standards Board (ILETSB) has approved a series of on-line Lead Homicide investigator courses to be offered by the Executive Institute which meet the criteria for LHI recertification. These courses do not replace the 40-hour Lead Homicide Investigator course for initial LHI certification.
Active Illinois law enforcement officers may register for an account with the Online Learning Network, a cost-free resource for online training. Please contact the Executive Institute by calling 309-298- 2646 or through their website (https://iletsbei.com)The approved LHI in-service courses are:
- Case Prep and Courtroom Testimony - 3 hours
- Crime Scene Identification - 8 hours
- Fundamentals of Investigation - 7 hours
- Fundamentals of Report Writing - 12 hours
- Interview and Interrogation - 3 hours
- Media Relations - 1 hour