40 hr. Police Cyclist-Canceled
Member's Fee: $180
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $180
Class has been canceled
Class Dates: June 22-26, 2020 Wednesday: 2:00 P.M. – 10:00 P.M.-Night Ride OBJECTIVES: A training school for officers and first time line supervisors in the practical application of a Police Bicycle Patrol. The school focuses on the use of the bicycle as a patrol vehicle. Participants will:
1) Spend approximately half of each eight-hour day riding their bikes and negotiating obstacles;
2) learn to safely handle their bikes while in traffic and while negotiating hazards;
3) learn to use the bicycle to make traffic stops, citizen and suspect contacts, and to safely handle the bicycle in pursuit situations. The Thursday session will involve firearms training.
Some class hours may be adjusted due to weather conditions.
* Selection of uniforms and clothing * Selection of bicycle & uniform accessories
* Basic physical fitness and avoiding injury * Bicycle nomenclature
* Critical situation riding techniques * Basic maintenance, tire changing, brake
* Traffic strategies and approach to calls and gear adjustments, lubrication and pre-
* Negotiation of basic obstacles ride safety inspection
* Patrolling, vehicle stops & suspects stops * Pursuit and takedown
* Night patrol * Drug enforcement
* Community relations * Negotiation of advanced obstacles
* Pride ride * Bicycles and firearms
* Full or part-time law enforcement
* All participants must be in good physical condition and have ample time in the saddle prior to the course.
* Coverage by state or local industrial insurance for on-the-job injuries
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT FOR EACH PARTICIPATING OFFICER:
* 18/21 speed quality mountain bike (no hybrids, 10 speeds or property room bikes)
* Bicycle helmet that meets ANSI 90.4 and SNELL memorial standards
* Protective eyewear
If you do not have any of this equipment, we recommend borrowing or renting.
Participants will be taught how to select the appropriate equipment.
* Power grips or toe clips (no clipless systems)
* Water Bottle(s)
* Comfortable cycle clothes (uniforms are encouraged) Uniforms and duty gear are required if you have them.
* Basic tool kit
* Rain jacket
* Cycling gloves
* Also cold weather gear, gloves, face mask, etc.
* 100 rounds ammo
* Ballistic Vest
* Eye & ear protection
* Department sidearm & duty gear
CLASS SIZE LIMITED IS 10 TOTAL FOR BOTH MTU#1 and MTU #2