20 hr. Human Trafficking Investigations-
Member's Fee: $0
Non-Member & Civilian Fee: $325
Human trafficking exists in the United States and can be considered Modern Day Slavery. Worldwide, it is a $150 billion criminal industry and it is found in every state of the United States. As many as 300,000 children in the US are at risk for sexual exploitation on a yearly basis.
Law Enforcement Officers may encounter a human trafficking operation during the course of their duties: during a traffic stop, during a police raid or even through a walk-in complaint. These situations often lead to the rescue of a human trafficking victim.
Participants will be able to:
- Basic education of how to identify Human Trafficking
- Characteristics of victims and perpetrators
- Mechanism of operations, and assessments of trends
- Case studies
- Investigative techniques and trends
- Insight into undercover Human Trafficking/Vice operations
- How these type of investigations crossover with internet crimes against children and traveler cases
- Obstacles law enforcement officials must overcome
- Substantial legal, cultural, and organizational barriers while investigating and prosecuting trafficking cases
Tomas Tundidor is a 27 year veteran of the Miami-Dade Police Department in Miami, Florida. Officer Tundidor is currently employed with the Village of Palmetto Bay in Miami, Florida.
Tomas has served in the Organized Crime Section, Narcotics Bureau, Economic Crimes Bureau and Special Victims Bureau. As a detective in the Organized Crime Section, Tomas conducted several Gambling and Vice Instigations and was lead on several Murder for Hires and Minor Sex Trafficking/Human Trafficking Investigations. Tomas was deputized by the U.S Marshals Service and worked on the FBI's Minor Vice / Crimes against Children Task Force. He also served as a Task Force Officer for the South Florida Human Trafficking Task Force and the Miami-Dade State Attorney's Office Human Trafficking Task Force.
Officer Tundidor has received serval awards and honors including; Police Officer of the year in 2007, Life-saving Medal in 2001 and 2007, Gold Medal of Valor in 1995 and 2007, the Purple Heart Award in 2007, and the Florida Missing Children's Combating Human/Sex Trafficking Award in 2013.