Conflict Resolution & De-escalation Strategies-Dixon
Members' Fee: $0
Sworn Non-Members' Fee: $85
Non-Members' Fee: $85
CONFLICT RESOLUTION AND DE-ESCALATION STRATEGIES
PURPOSE OF COURSE: This 8-hour program has been designed to help Officers integrate communication skills and conflict resolution strategies to De-escalate or avoid conflicts in their work environment.
COURSE OVERVIEW: The primary focus of the course will be to provide practical skills that the student can use to avoid or de-escalate conflict in the work environment.
COURSE GOALS: The goals of this course are to:
1. Identify the skills required to engage in de-escalation and conflict resolution.
2. Identify the role of emotional intelligence in conflict resolution and de-escalation.
3. The role of emotions in driving behavior of both the officer and other person.
4. Identify the role of communication in conflict resolution and de-escalation.
5. Demonstrate active and reflective listening skills.
6. Practice Messaging and identify the importance of structuring the message for the listener.
7. Identify the 5 different conflict resolution strategies.
8. Demonstrate and ability to use each of those strategies appropriately.
9. Identify signs and indications of resistive behavior.
10. Discuss and practice conflict resolution skills in the context of Officer Safety and defensive
James Wagner and Associates, LLC provides training and consulting services to police agencies nationwide. James Wagner is the owner and President of James Wagner and Associates. He has over 30 years of law enforcement experience and has been a police instructor since 1991. James was responsible for managing training, crime prevention, community relations, public information, and research and development for 14 years at a large suburban Sheriff’s Office. James is a graduate of Northwestern’s School of Police Staff and Command Session #233 and the FBI’s National Academy Session #235.